Tuesday 16 April 2013

Hooked on Fish

So I've been kinda MIA the past few days but I think I have a pretty good excuse, you see, this past weekend was a bit of a big weekend for me. 

On Saturday we had our nephew Zachary's 2nd Birthday Party and after I went out with some friends to see another my buddy Scott play, his band is called After the Lounge and they're pretty good...check out the link and see for yourself:) 

Sunday was an early day, up at 5am to help out at Gopher Dunes, it's a nearby motocross track and they were hosting the CMRC Opener...it's always so much fun there.  It's not just motocross there either, every Spring and Fall they have a 4x4 Mud Run and it is CRAZY!! 

Remember how I said Aaron was going back to work with his brother and Dad...well yesterday was his first day so of course the absolutely awesome wife that I am, I cooked up his favorite...Chicken Parmesan for dinner.  I know I've already posted that recipe so I didn't want to repeat it for you:)

Here's the big part of the past few days though...are you ready...I was inducted into the Niagara College Knights Hall of Fame on Friday night.  I'm extremely honoured by this and am still flying on cloud nine.  You see in college I played a little bit of basketball, to be honest, I lived it, I breathed it and I dreamed about it.  I started playing when I was about 10 years old and it was my passion for a lot of years, so to be recognized and inducted into the Hall of Fame is a pretty big deal to me.  You can check out this article that was in my local paper, the Simcoe Reformer, if you want:)



Anyways, enough about me, this blog is about cooking and I've been hung up on fish lately.  I know eventually I'm going to have to branch out in the fish waters and start cooking something other then tilapia but it's what's in my freezer right now so that's what we had tonight. 

Remember last week when I friaked, well tonight I changed it up a bit and did a little bit of froiling...you know, fry it and then broil it.  I used the same marinade as I did when I friaked, a Chili Lime version, because I really liked the flavour.  I did however, make a change...instead of Panko I dredged the fillets in a little flour mixture and after I fried them I brushed them with some mayo, grated some fresh Romano on top and tossed them under the broiler like that. 

Since I've been telling you all about it I guess it's time I got down to the nitty gritty and just give you the recipe:)

Froiled Romano Tilapia
(adapted from Kalyn's Kitchen)

For the Marinade

1/4 c. Lime Juice
2 Cloves Garlic, minced
1/2 Tsp Chipotle Chili Powder
1/2 Tsp Paprika
1/2 Tsp Dried Cilantro
1/2 Tsp Coriander Seed
2 Tbsp Extra Virgin Olive Oil
1/2 Tsp Honey
1/4 Tsp Celery Salt
Pinch of Cayenne Pepper

For the Fish

2 Tilapia Fillets
1/2 c. Flour
Pinch of Cayenne Pepper
Salt and Pepper
1 1/2 Tbsp Mayo
3 Tbsp Fresh Grated Romano Cheese (or Parmesan)
1-2 Tbsp Avocado Oil

Start off by mixing all of the marinade ingredients together and placing the fillets in either a shallow bowl or Ziplock bag, adding the marinade and let it sit in the fridge for about 45 minutes.



Next, in a shallow bowl, add the flour, cayenne and some salt and pepper.  Mix that up and when the fillets are done marinating, lightly dredge them in the flour mix. 




Heat the oil over medium high heat and add the fillets.  Cook them 3-4 minutes per side, carefully flipping them over so they don't fall apart and do your best not to peek!!  While they're cooking put your oven to broil and take a baking sheet that can take the heat of the broiler, cover it with some aluminum foil and lightly grease the foil. 



Once the fillets are done cooking, carefully place them on the baking sheet.  Brush them gently with the mayo and top them with the grated cheese.  Place them under the broiler for another 3-4 minutes, you want the cheese to start to brown. 




From here, serve them up nice and hot...the cheese will crisp up a bit as it cools.  I served mine with Epicure's Roasted Garlic Aioli. 

Connor, who complains every time I make fish didn't mind this.  I think it's because it didn't fall apart and flake like fish normally does.  He almost thought it was chicken...lol.


No comments:

Post a Comment