Monday 25 March 2013

Hooked on Yorkie's

Have you ever had a Yorkshire Pudding??




As a self professed carb freak/meat & potatoes girl I have to admit...I LOVE THEM!! Special dinners at my Dad's house have always meant Prime Rib, Mashed Potatoes, Corn, Au Jus and enough Yorkshire Pudding to not cause physical harm to anyone because we fight tooth and nail over them...stealing them off each others plate if you're not paying attention. When I say enough to not cause physical harm, it means we need at least 3 dozen muffin tin Yorkshire's for a family of 11.

I've made and ate just Yorkshire Pudding muffins with Au Jus for dinner when I'm home alone and am proud to say I can pack back about 24 all by myself...haha Dad, and I never invited you over when I ate them...lol. There have been many evenings where my late night snack has been a dozen and when I'm done I always wonder why I didn't make more.

When my Yorkshire obsession, and yes, it's an obsession, started I always made the packaged kind that you can find in a grocery store. When I would buy said packages in the grocery store, I never just bought one or two, or even five or six...I typically bought them by the box, at least twelve packages. The packages you buy in the grocery store are great, don't get me wrong, but in my world, made in your kitchen, by you, for you just makes things that much better.

I've been making my own for awhile now and it gets me every time just how SIMPLE the recipe is. The one thing I've noticed is mine are a lot denser then the packaged kind, which also lets them suck up waaaaaay more Au Jus, but I like mine a little lighter. I found this awesome page just today called How to Cook Perfect Yorkshire Puddings, of course it was after I started making my Yorkshire for dinner tonight, and can't wait to take what I learned from it for next time. One of the things that I didn't realize is that the British and their Yorkshire is kind of like Italians and their pasta...the basics are always the same but there's some differences between the North and the South. I think I've figured out what I need to do for a "lighter" Yorkshire, but for those of you who like yours a little heavier, this recipe is for you!!

Yorkshire Pudding (Southern Version)
adapted from About.com British & Irish Food-The Best, Quick & Easy Yorkshire Pudding Recipe

Simple Ingredients
4 Large Eggs
Milk, equal amount to eggs
Unbleached All Purpose Flour, equal amount to eggs
Pinch of Salt
2 Tbsp Beef Drippings or Vegetable Oil



Yorkshire is so easy because it's measured by volume and not by weight so I cracked the eggs into a measuring cup and then added an equal amount of milk...mine ended up being just a little over a cup.  Once the milk was in I whisked it up really well and then let it rest for about 10 minutes.



Next up I measured out an equal amount of flour, so about 1 cup and sifted it into the mixture with the pinch of salt and again whisked it really well.  You don't want any lumps in the batter.  After it was nice and smooth I put it into the fridge to wait until I needed it.  I left mine for a couple hours but even a half hour will do.  Some recipes say to just leave it on the counter but with raw eggs in it and knowing it would sit awhile I decided on fridge.

Nice and smooth batter

Since I already had a roast in the oven I didn't preheat the oven, but if I didn't I would preheat the oven to 450F. 

I added about a 1/2 Tsp of oil to each one of my muffin tins to get them ready for my little Yorkies and when the oven was ready I popped that it.  You want the oil to be good and hot, almost smoking, so I leave the tins in the oven for about 3 minutes or so.

Once the oil was hot I poured the batter into the tins, you want to hear a nice sizzle as it hits the oil.  I filled them up about 2/3 full and then put them back in the oven to cook for about 16 minutes.  You want them to start to get a nice golden brown colour. 



Once they were done I always serve mine up with Au Jus for dipping:)

Of course since these were for dinner we had roasted potatoes, prime rib and asparagus to go with...delicious!!


No comments:

Post a Comment