Thursday 28 February 2013

Yo Quiero Quesidillas

I have to confess, I've had a bit of a lazy kitchen week...ok, a lot of a lazy kitchen week.  Aaron's been away sledding and it's just been me and the kids since we got home from up north.  Since it's Thursday and I haven't really cooked much of anything I thought, why start huge, how about something nice and simple.  That's where chicken quesidillas come into play.   This afternoon I poached up some chicken breasts to do shredded chicken, that recipe will make its way here one day, and for quesidillas that's the biggest time consumer so it was easy to just throw them together with some leftover tortillas I had.  The only downer was once again I had no green onions but just like last time I made do with shallots. 

Epicure Prepared Poco Picante Salsa
 
It must seem like I'm on a huge Mexican kick right now, maybe because it's been so cold and snowy I wish I was back in Mexico again:)


Family Vacation in Mexico February 2011

Chicken Quesidillas
(Adapted from A Taste of Home)



2 1/2 Cups Shredded, Cooked Chicken
2/3 Cups Salsa, I use Prepared Epicure Salsa:)
2-3 Green Onions, sliced
1/8-1/4 Tsp Cumin
1/4 Tsp Dried Oregano
3/4 Tsp Epicure Fajita Seasoning
1/2 Tsp Salt
2 Tsp Dried Cilantro or 2 Tbsp Fresh
6 Flour Tortillas
2-3 Tbsp Melted Butter
2 Cups Shredded Cheese
Sour Cream & Guacamole

Preheat the oven to 375F.

In a large skillet, combine the first seven ingredients.  Cook, uncovered over medium heat for about 10 minutes, stirring occasionally. 

(Depending on the mood I'm in, sometimes I'll add some diced red and green peppers to the chicken mixture too, about a half a peppers worth.)


Get everything ready to put the quesidillas together, melt the butter, have your cheese shredded and get a little assembly line ready.



Once that's done, take the tortillas and brush one side with the melted butter.



Flip the tortilla over and add about 1/3 cup of the chicken mixture to one side.


Sprinkle about a 1/3 cup of cheese over the chicken mixture.


Next, sprinkle a good pinch of the cilantro over the cheese.




Fold the quesidilla in half and place buttered side down on a lightly greased baking sheet, it will take 2 baking sheets to do them all.


 



Place baking sheets in the oven and bake for 10-12 minutes.  You want the edges to start to get golden and crisp up a bit.  Let them sit for about 5 minutes or so before you cut them into wedges so you don't get melted cheese everywhere.


Serve with sour cream and guacamole...mmm, mmm good:)

No comments:

Post a Comment